Monday, September 18, 2006

The Greens of Wrath

Once again, my adopted hometown of Salinas gets press--and once again, it's not good. This time it's not gang violence or the threatened public library closing. Now it's killer spinach. The #7 crop in the Valley, pulled from shelves across the country and implicated in at least one death and the illness of over 150 people. My favorite green, and I'm quite nervous about buying it again when it does reappear. Maybe it has something to do with that "healthy" Asian salad I bought at a Jack in the Box on my way to one of the camps this summer--the one that was supposed to be much better for me than those evil fried-in-transfat things, but which resulted in my seeing more of the inside of the festival Porta-potties than anything else that memorable weekend. Guess I need to, ahem, grow my own.

Steinbeck or Woody would probably write something.

0 comments: