Wednesday, May 25, 2005

A step out of time

Image hosted by Photobucket.com28 years ago today, I got the call: he was born. Struggling in, not doing the expected, causing a panic, he made a Big Deal, just as he did all his life. We brought him home three days later, after almost losing him the same morning when the young woman who gave birth to him changed her mind (and who could possibly blame her?), then decided once again to allow us to have him. It was the beginning of jubilation and tribulation for us. No one ever changed us like Jeremy.

I can't retell his life story now; I've done it so many times and will again and again and yet again. He lived extraordinarily. Right now I am just remembering him, not as though I ever forget for a moment the baby and boy and man who was my son, but to honor our years together. 28 years ago today, he was born. Three days later, I became his mother. Two years ago last March, on that glorious Spring day in the most achingly beautiful of places, he literally stepped out of Earthly time.

There is a time for every purpose under Heaven, as the poet-king said, and Jeremy had his. Mine is still here, and today I touch every emotion known to me. Mostly I miss him profoundly--not wishing him back to pain and all that was his lot here, but just missing him.

Just missing him.

1 comments:

Howard said...

I have the deepest sympathy for you but i'm a little ahead of you on the fimily loss..My wife and I have no immediate family left after all these years but being christians we are certain we'll see most all them prety soon.