Monday, March 16, 2009

Mother, Interrupted


Six years ago today--already enough years in the cycle to have gone around the week--our beloved son Jeremy, trying to save his dog, accidentally slid off a cliff and into Eternity.

Time does not heal. Sometimes it cruelly slices into itself, demanding the present return to the past and feel the void of the future. Sometimes it mocks the living, either fading or exaggerating memories. Always and ever it represents the chasm between those who left and those who remain: all that was and cannot be revisited; and all that was not and can never be experienced.

Ultimately, though, time cannot fully steal. The love that was known remains unextinguished. The fullness of the unique life that was his can never be denied.

I celebrate Jeremy's life every day of my own. On this day, I recall that he went for a hike with his close friends because an irresistible day of splendor in early Spring called him out of his bed and to his final destiny. I marvel that he, who lived with suffering and death so close at hand after having his kidneys destroyed by the horrible train incident when he was 14, stepped out of time and into his Father's arms so quickly and painlessly. Irish and I hold each other close, even closer today and weep again...not only for our loss, but also from from the joy of the unshakable confidence that unites our spirits with his even across time and dimension: "I AM THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE."

7 comments:

Crystal's Elite Dance Studio said...

Aunt Sharon, I hate that your heart is hurting...We know that one day, we will eventually be reunited, but for those of us left behind it's not easy.

At times, I think of Jeremy at the strangest times, even though I didn't know him all that well.

Hugs and prayers!

Anonymous said...

I cannot begin tounderstand your loss. I just hurt like crazy for you all.
Kenny

Abby said...

Hi Aunt Sharon...
Just about anything I can say would probably sound trite, so as sincerely as I can, I just want to let you know that I'm thinking of you and praying that you and uncle will be comforted.
And, like cos, I still think of Jeremy at (what I think are) the strangest times. He's not forgotten. But next time, I'll ay a prayer for you when God brings him to my mind. I'm happy that you have the peace of knowing you will see him again...
Much love,
Abby

Unknown said...

Sharon, we hold you and Rick in our hearts. Just got off the phone with Tim, and we mourned the combined losses of Jeremy, Mom and Beth at this time of year. I remember when Beth died being completely incensed that it could possibly be Spring in the wake of such loss. Yet it is, time and time again. They are gone but never forgotten. The wide wake of love they left behind continues to ripple out through us all. Thank you for your beautiful words and spirit. Love, Maureen

Patty said...

I understand about this kind of anniversary--not as a mother but as a sister (twice) and as a daughter--the grief mixed with the sweet tang of remembering. Your heart aches with sorrow and with love, for what you had and will never have again, and also for what you know lies just over the horizon.

{{{Sharon}}}

Sharon said...

You are all so dear to me!

Unknown said...

That was beautiful. I love you anT.