Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Love o' Scotland, love o' Earth











I'm quite proud to have Scots ancestry via my mother's family, the Bells, and have several times represented Clan Bell at various Highland Games and related activities. In honor of Earth Day, here is a lovely poem I found on Leslie's blog. It speaks to those things most important to the traditional Scot: God, family, societal order, true beauty. (Okay, it doesn't mention Scotch whisky or caber tossing, but you get the point.)

If there is righteousness in the heart,

there will be beauty in the character.

If there is beauty in the character,

there will be harmony in the home.

If there is harmony in the home,

there will be order in the nation.

If there is order in the nation,

there will be peace in the world.

So let it be.

~Old Scottish Blessing


I'm really inspired by that. It's really a prayer, isn't it? "So let it be"...in other words, Amen.

4 comments:

Patty said...

Beautiful. I've heard/read something almost like that.

So be it.

But hey...where's the picture of Mel Gibson in a kilt???

Leslie said...

Lovely photo. I am delighted that you found a way to use it for Earth Day. Verra kewl.

Check out what I did for Earth Day on my blog. You'll get a laugh.

Sharon said...

Patty: Mel looked fantastic in the kilt, but he's dropped far in my estimation. It'll have to be LIAM from now on!

Patty said...

Yes, I agree about Mel. Very sad. So do you have a picture of Liam in a kilt?