Friday, April 17, 2009

Susan the Magnificent



Susan Boyle is Queen of the Week. Shoot, she's Queen of whenever and wherever and whatever she wants from now on. I think she's absolutely phenomenal. Her performance touched me profoundly, in a way that many technically flawless professional singers I've heard never have.

YouTube won't let me embed the video. Just in case you're one of the 5 people who haven't seen it yet, here is Miss Boyle flattening the pompous judges and hooting audience at the Britain's Got Talent audition last weekend.

And she won't let "Them" make her over, either! I love this lady!

Sometimes good things really do happen to good people. If Susan never sings another note, she has achieved her dream. She's also given millions of people their possibilities back.

3 comments:

Patty said...

She's extraordinary! Her singing moves me.

I love your wonderful post label "Simon Cowell smackdown".

Anonymous said...

The lesson we learn from Susan's performance is not about beauty or looks. It's about dignity. It's about prejudging a person based on your own biases. You watch her and you pre judge her and then when she starts to sing you have a tremendous feeling of pride and happiness for her mixed with the shame of having written her off as a joke with out knowing anything about her. Her voice, her talent, her triumph in singing such a beautiful song so beautifuly forces you to recognize her diginity and you are made to feel ashamed of your self in it's presence. It's overwhelming. It's a very humbling experience.

Patty said...

I don't know what my reaction would have been if I'd seen the video first. The first time I heard her was on the car radio, and they were talking about what a surprise it was. I had no idea what she looked like; I thought the surprise was her amazing voice. You don't come across a Susan Boyle every day, even on a show whose purpose is to find talent.

It is a shame how they, and all of us, are so quick to pass judgment based on appearance.