Monday, December 14, 2009

Needing and accepting are two different things

When crisis comes, most of us are blessed with at least one or two people, friends and family, who want to help any way they can. In my case, I am extraordinarily and abundantly provided for. Why, then, is it so difficult to sit still? I just had a life-saving surgical intervention, and need help with housework. Why am I compelled to get up and dust before my friend comes to dust? She wants to do my laundry; I feel it necessary to lean over the hamper and sort out the clothes, despite how that tires me. Meals arrive from loving hands; I allow the absurd pigeons of misplaced guilt to flock around my head as I concentrate on all the times I was not there for someone else--even when I didn't know they needed it--while dismissing all the times I was.

What is it about me?

Simply put, I'm not a very good receiver of the charitable love of others. And I'm willing to bet you're probably not, either. We have to humble ourselves to be in the position of receiving.

Humility: it's what's for dinner, served up in a nice, golden, flaky crust. And it's the most nourishing meal ever.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Amen, sistah girl! Health and healing mercies upon you!

Sharon said...

I didn't mean to publish that kernel of a post...hit the wrong button. Come back later for the finished product. :-) And thanks for coming back to my blog after my unexcused absence!

Patty said...

Mmmmm...humble pie! Take a big bite. Wish I were there to feed you some while doing your laundry and making a yummy meal. Hugs from the snowy heartland!

Sandi said...

I agree with you, it is hard for us to take help when we have been the one that has been giving help for so long. I guess we need God to help us recieve and give the others the blessing of helping too'
Sandi
http://sandipruse.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I like reading your blog, funny posts. Well that Humble Pie and that Pile of laundry! hehe.

Helen from the paid focus groups blog