Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ironically, Memorial Day


Our son's birthday was Monday, which was Memorial Day. Every year takes me farther from him. What would he have been like as a 32-year-old? Forgive me for being selfish. Many, many families marked this holiday by mourning their equally precious children lost or changed forever because somebody else started wars. Jeremy wanted to join the military when he was a boy and would have been good at it (if he'd survived being told what to do). But of course his accident prevented that. He was, however, a different kind of hero, and just as brave.

My deepest gratitude to everyone who made a way for us to enjoy our freedom and the years we had with such a son as Jeremy.

2 comments:

Patty said...

In a way, every year takes you farther from him, but every year also takes you closer to him.

Laura said...

Oh, Sharon. I'm so sad to read this. Jeremy was such an earnest and energetic young man when we knew him. I remember him taking life head-on, and being passionate about it.

I don't think God wired us to ever stop missing our children that we have lost.